When we talk about beverages, the two most common ones that come to our mind are tea and coffee. While coffee is exceptionally famous in mostly the western parts of the world, especially in countries like the United States of America, the United Kingdom, in many African countries and such, tea is incredibly popular in the eastern parts of the world, particularly in countries like India, Pakistan, China, Japan and more. These beverages are not random drinks, but part of people’s lifestyle. These drinks contain caffeine, which is consumed by people to gain energy and help to be active throughout the day.
Coffee: Mystic Monk Coffee ScandalBefore we get to know more about the main topic of our article today, let us learn some interesting things about coffee first that are actually really interesting, and if you are a coffee enthusiast, you would definitely find them really fun to know about. Keep reading to find out more:
● Coffee is one of the most popular drinks in this world. There are approximately 1 billion people in this world who drink coffee.
● The production of coffee exceeded 175 million of 60 kilogram bags in the year 2021 because of how much in demand this beverage is.
● In India, most of the coffee is grown in the state of Kerala. In Kerala, filter coffee is very famous and is consumed by people very frequently. The two most popular types of coffee that are grown are Arabica and Robusta.
● Although too much caffeine can be detrimental to your health, drinking a suggested amount of it can help provide essential antioxidants.
● Coffee granules are often used to make home-made face scrubs and masks. They provide gentle exfoliation without being harsh on the skin.
Now that we have learnt some cool facts about coffee, let us look into the actual topic that we are going to discuss in our article today. It is a rather more serious type of topic that is not as refreshing as coffee itself, but surely is quite sizzling. Read on to find out more..Mystic Monk Coffee Scandal In our article today, we will be putting out focus on a scandal referred to as the Mystic Monk Coffee Scandal. If you are unaware of what happened, you will be getting a summarized explanation that will help you get to know all about this story through our article. So, if you want to know about it, keep on reading. Mystic Monk is a coffee company that was founded in 2007 by Father Daniel Mary, who was a Carmelite Monk of the St. Clare Monastery, which was based in Wyoming. It is one of the most popular specialty coffee brands in America. The mystic monk coffee scandal was a series of events that began in 2011 and ended in 2012. It began when the Carmelite monks of Wyoming were accused of misusing the money that being donated to their monastery for buying coffee beans from outside and growing their own brand of coffee.
The money that they had collected had raised up to about five million dollars, and they were to use it to buy a big piece of land to build a monastery. However, they took a part of that money to do exactly what they were accused of doing.
These monks were also accused of tax evasion, money laundering and fraud, and they failed to declare how much money they had earned from the sales of coffee. It was one of the biggest scandals in the USA back then, and it resulted in three head monks to resign from their positions.